Saturday, October 15, 2011

I am so pumped!

This morning I did my first 5K - the SoJo (South Jordan) 5K/Half-Marathon/Marathon. Wow - what a rush! Before my surgery 7 months ago, I couldn't even walk a block, and when I had to walk, I walked very slowly and stopped often. Today I walked 3.1 miles in less than a hour, and it felt so good! All those long walks with my granddaughter Ellie in the stroller while I was in Illinois really helped keep me in good condition for today, so thanks, Ellie Jean!

Last summer at my weight loss surgery support group meetings, they started talking about something called "The Walk From Obesity." I checked it out online, watching for the announcement about the Utah walk this Fall. When it was finally announced, I was disappointed to see that the official walk was only a half-mile - I was already walking 1 to 2 miles several times a week. Then our support group leaders told us that we could join with the SoJo run and still get credit for doing the WFO, and I started to get excited. I waited till a couple of weeks before the race to register so I would have a better idea of what size tee shirt to get. I know, I know; that sounds very vain, but I really wanted a shirt that I knew I would fit and look good for more than a month after the race. And guess what size I was brave enough to order?


Size Small!!!! And it fits!!!!



Jack and I left bright and early this morning, before the sun was even up, found a good parking spot and waited in the car till about 40 minutes before race time. By then it was light enough to see, but very chilly with a brisk wind. We stood close to the outdoor heaters till time to head for the starting line, and I moved out. Jack had brought the camera, so we have a few pics to share:



Freezing in the wind before the race



























And we're off!





























The last leg of the race (I'm on the right)


























Down the home stretch





























Crossing the finish line


















It was great after the race to talk to people there and tell my story and hear their stories, as well. Oh, and the Walk from Obesity people had several prize drawings, and I won a $25 gift certificate toward any play at the Hale Center Theater! All in all, it's been a very good day!

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you! Look at you all skinny and amazing and stuff! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Mom...you look amazing and I smile whenever I read your posts.

    ReplyDelete