Sunday, November 13, 2011

Patient Panel

This past Wednesday night was our monthy support group meeting. This month, all three groups (Ogden, Orem, and Salt Lake) met together, and the office education team put together a panel of patients to tell about their weight loss journeys and their decision to have surgery, and to relate some of the things they have learned along the way. I was asked six or seven weeks ago to be a member of this panel, and was delighted to do so. Every time I get asked about my surgery and/or my weight loss, I am more passionate about sharing my thoughts and feelings and educating others about the importance of maintaining a healthy weight and of getting help when you are unable to do it on your own. As I mentioned during my presentation, I feel like I have been given a great gift - I got my life back - and I feel a great obligation and desire to share what I have been given and my gratitude for it.

For our support group meeting, each panel member was also asked to provide several "before and after" photos to be put into a slide show. It was very interesting to go back through the pics that are on my computer. I looked at photos of me taken over the past five years (there were not too many) and wondered "Who was that woman?" One that I sent (that didn't get used) was a wedding photo of me and Jack, and as I looked at that tiny, happy girl I realized that I could see her in the pics of me today. What a great feeling that is! Jack took many pictures of me the night of support group. I'll just share a few....

Ready for support group panel 11-9-11

"I need to share,,,," Support group 11-9-11

At support group 11-9-11 with before and after slides

Responding to a question, Support group 11-9-11

Just for fun, here's the wedding photo - June 1969

4 comments:

  1. Mom, you look incredible! I'm so proud of you, and so glad you that feel as if your life is back, now. I love that red shirt, too! :) So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look gorgeous, Mom...so happy and confident. I think the new hair cut is great. Sorry I couldn't make it that night. Thanks for posting these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I was there...and you are one amazing speaker! There were a couple of times I had to refrain from shouting out encouragement. (What can I say, I'm loud)
    When I saw my boyfriend the next day (who is also pondering the surgery) I relived the whole thing and told him about all the neat things that were said. I showed him your blog and how amazing you look. He said "She looks like a professional speaker or teacher!"
    I don't know how he can tell from pictures, but your ability to speak is such a gift. You are wonderful at it. I so enjoyed it. (and yes, this is the longest comment ever!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look beautiful, Mom! It is wonderful to see you so involved and passionate about a healthy lifestyle. You know that's always been my passion too. Who'd ever of thought we would be so close to the same weight again? Congratulation, great job, good luck and can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete